Pickup and delivery are two indispensable parts of business. Whether you are ordering raw materials to manufacture products, or shipping your finished goods to vendors, you need cross border transport companies to help you efficiently get the job done.
It isn’t always easy searching for a reputable LTL (less than truckload) and FTL (full truckload) Canada-U.S. cross border transport companies. There are many factors to consider, specific advantages and disadvantages to each type of shipping, and other useful information that is important to consider before you make a decision.
In this article, we are going to explore the main differences between LTL and FTL shipping and the different scenarios where each is applicable.
What is LTL Shipping?
Less than truckload shipping is any shipment that combines orders from multiple customers. The savings are passed on to each individual company since the logistics company is able to fill a truck through multiple orders, meaning it costs you less than if you wanted your own personal truckload.
• Is cheaper than FTL in most cases
• A great option for small businesses that don’t need FTL services
• LTL Canada-U.S. cross border transport options allow you to get your shipments south of the border in a convenient manner
What is FTL Shipping?
Full truckload shipping is any shipment where you are the only company shipping products in that delivery. In most cases, a company will fill the entire truck, or purchase a full truckload shipment because they don’t want to share the space with another company.
This method is more costly if you are shipping smaller orders, but it provides you with a dedicated shipment where you only have to worry about your products.
• FTL shipping provides you with your own dedicated shipment
• Your shipment stays in the same truck for the entire delivery
• The preferred option for companies shipping delicate or fragile products
• FTL Canada-U.S. cross border transportation available
Which One Should I Choose?
There is no simple answer to this question. It really depends on factors like:
• Are you shipping fragile products?
• What kind of budget are you working with?
• Do you want the safest or cheapest option?
• Are you shipping your products to the U.S., or within Canada?
• How big is your shipment?
• How quickly do you need your delivery to arrive?
• How heavy is your shipment?
Once you can answer all of these questions, you’ll have a better understanding of whether you need LTL or FTL Canada-U.S. cross border transportation services.
Major Factors Affecting Price
Pricing in the shipping industry, like most industries, is affected by specific factors. When planning your LTL and FTL Canada-U.S. cross border transportation, keep in mind the following:
How expensive is gas currently?
Gas prices directly affect shipments costs as transport trucks require gas to drive places.
How quickly do you need it delivered?
Rush orders are always more expensive than ones that are placed well in advance. When you place a rush order, a logistics company is often forced to change their schedule around, turn to contractors, and other more expensive solutions to meet the tight deadlines you have set.
Where are you having your products shipped to?
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that it will cost you more to ship your products to a location that is far away. However, did you know that it can also cost you more to ship your products to a location that is closer, but not connected to any major highways? Rural areas take longer to drive to and present more challenges than a location that is easily accessible through major highways.
Choosing the Right LTL and FTL Canada-U.S. Cross Border Transportation Company
York Trans (York Transportation & Warehousing Group) is a dedicated LTL and FTL Canada-U.S. cross border trucking company with over 40 years of experience. We offer our services to clients in Canada and the United States and we are ready to help you with all of your logistical needs.
• We offer proven LTL and FTL Canada-U.S. cross border transportation services
• Our LTL prices are competitive
• Cross border transportation is easy when you work with a reputable logistics company.